Thứ Bảy, 8 tháng 4, 2017

How Tom Jay Williams has used streaming to launch a global career

Idol and a boy band didn’t work, but Tom Jay Williams is now making the music industry work for him. Picture: Supplied

IN the last seven days Tom Jay Williams has seen his single Closure make No. 1 in New Zealand, No. 2 in Japan, get playlisted on the BBC and reach 500,000 streams on Spotify.

He is the perfect example of young artists adapting to the new ways — and new technology — to tackle the music industry.

It’s not the first time at the rodeo for 24 year old Williams.

At 16 he was the youngest person to make the Australian Idol top 10. A year ago he left boy band At Sunset.

Since then he’s changed the team around him, opting to be an independent artist.

His Sydney management have linked him with a Swedish production team (Closure was steered by the team behind the Chainsmokers’ Paris) and have entered into an informal partnership with streaming giants Spotify.

They’re using Closure as a test case to see if they can break an Australian artist internationally.

And it’s working. The song was put on all the right Spotify playlists, starting with New Music Friday and now on global pop charts.

“Music has gone into a lane where it’s about partnerships, and not necessarily needing a record label straight way to get out there,” Williams says. “If all the right boxes are ticked you can get stuff working right away.

Spotify is concentrating on breaking Australian Tom Jay Williams as a global success. Picture: Supplied

Spotify is concentrating on breaking Australian Tom Jay Williams as a global success. Picture: SuppliedSource:Supplied

“You used to play in pubs and talent scouts from record labels would come and see you and sign you. Then reality TV came through, that was the way to break through.

“With streaming services you can be listening to music as a fan and because the genre is similar you discover new songs. A lot of people won’t pay that initial $2 to buy a new song on iTunes, but when you’re put in front of them and it’s free it can be the right time and place.

“You need your songs to be put in front of people and that’s increasingly hard to do. I’m lucky enough to be on a lot of playlists all over the world. Streaming is changing the industry, if you don’t get on board you hit a roadblock. The times are changing, if you don’t jump on that wave you’re going to fall short.”

Williams has now locked in showcases in Asia and London in the coming months, with Spotify still pushing Closure in more and more territories.

“Obviously it’s really hard to get signed to major labels, unless you’re exactly what they’re after. Independent music is in a really good place at the moment.”

Williams admits he’s in a better place to deal with success.

“I was 15 on Idol, I was two days shy of being 16. I was in this super-controlled environment which was difficult for a young person, your whole life is planned for eight months then you’re back at school.”

However at school in Adelaide it wasn’t just students giving him a hard time after his stint on TV.

“I got bullied by teachers, it was full on. I’ll never forget that.”

He was involved in an “unprovoked” assault and admits he’s changed as a person.

“I wasn’t perfect on Idol, I was a 16 year old on TV. It changes you. I got labelled arrogant, I’m glad I went through that phase I know what not to be ...”

Tom Jay Williams — Closure

Williams then started playing in pubs to gain experience.

“I wanted to get my match fitness, I wanted to learn how to deal with the people who didn’t like me and try and convert them.”

Then he joined Adelaide boy band At Sunset in 2014, replacing their previous singer. They signed with Warner and got a mentoring session with Ed Sheeran.

However Williams cites the old “creative differences” for his splitting with the band (now rebranded as Lynk) in June last year.

“It didn’t end positively. There were problems with management, there were problems with the fact there were two brothers and myself and it started to become a two against one situation.

“Initially I wanted to be in a band, so when the opportunity came along it was fantastic. But when you start getting treated like that you don’t want to be part of it and I lost a part of myself, a part of my soul. I’ve got that back. I needed to go through that experience to know it isn’t right. It was a great learning curve.

yayyy tommmmm!!! so proud of you 💜 @TomJWilliams92 pic.twitter.com/D8lAtcE9QI

— Noah Cyrus (@noahcyrus) March 24, 2017

“I’m incredibly lucky. This is my third life. I had success with Idol and relative success with that band and now hopefully this is the one that delivers. I know how lucky I am.”

Williams also embraces social media and knows how important it is to modern pop success.

“You have to be on all these platforms, Twitter, Snapchat, Facebook and Instagram, it’s crucial to be able to communicate with your audience 24/7. That’s not a task for me, I love to talk to fans non stop. You have to provide content. I’m on it all the time, it annoys some people but it’s my job.”

The Future of Streaming Music2:05

Spotify's Global Head of Creator Services Troy Carter and Chief Content Officer Stefan Blom talk about the changes coming in the streaming music business in the next few years. They speak with WSJ's Joanna Stern at the WSJDLive conference in Laguna Beach, Calif.

  • October 26th 2016
  • 5 months ago
  • /video/video.news.com.au/Technology/

The singer also used Twitter to connect with Adam Lambert, bonding over Williams praising one of his album tracks.

“Adam and I are really close now. Noah Cyrus is a dear friend. She tweeted about one of my songs and instantly it picked up in the US. Paris Jackson — people you shouldn’t be talking to you’re now communicating with through these networks. I can call them my friends now, I value them a lot. Social media and Spotify are changing everything in 2017.”

Tom Jay Williams on Amplify tour. Astor Theatre Perth Tuesday, City Hall Brisbane Thursday April 13, Sydney Olympic Park Sports Centre Sydney April 15, Sidney Myer Music Bowl Melbourne April 17, Thebarton Theatre Adelaide April 18.

#NowPlaying Closure by Tom Jay Williams - congrats buddy! Its so legit! ♫ https://t.co/vcswLks8jN

— ADAM LAMBERT (@adamlambert) March 29, 2017

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét