Thứ Ba, 7 tháng 3, 2017

Eurovision’s worst-kept secret: Isaiah Firebrace will represent Australia this year

  • Video
  • Image

Isaiah Firebrace is the X Factor winner for 20160:42

The X Factor winner for 2016 is Isaiah Firebrace. Courtesy: Network Seven

  • November 22nd 2016
  • 3 months ago
  • /video/video.news.com.au/Entertainment/

He’s done it: Isaiah Firebrace will represent Australia in Eurovision later this year. Picture: Mark Stewart

ISAIAH Firebrace will represent Australia in this year’s Eurovision Song Contest.

The badly kept secret was confirmed by SBS today.

The 17 year old won last year’s X Factor.

He became the first indigenous winner of a reality show since Casey Donovan.

Firebrace’s Eurovision song is a ballad called Don’t Come Easy and was written by Sydney’s DNA, who penned The Sound of Silence for Dami Im, which she performed with great success at last year’s Eurovision.

“It’s got a bit of a Sam Smith vibe, which is cool,” Firebrace said.

Isaiah Firebrace is off to Eurovision this year. Picture: Mark Cranitch.

Isaiah Firebrace is off to Eurovision this year. Picture: Mark Cranitch.Source:News Corp Australia

Firebrace will compete in Kiev, Ukraine from May 12 with the final taking place on May 14.

The singer admits he wrote his own Eurovision history.

The 17 year old told a journalist last year, shortly after winning X Factor, he’d like to represent Australia at Eurovision.

“Suddenly I started getting listed as one of the rumoured acts to perform at Eurovision,” Firebrace said.

“Then everyone got onboard with it and it started to snowball. Now it’s actually come true.”

Born in Moama, Firebrace follows Guy Sebastian and Dami Im as the third Australian representative at the event.

Firebrace admitted he had known for “a while...it’s been really hard to keep these lips sealed. It’s a relief I can talk about it now.”

The teenager plans to represent his indigenous heritage at the event, taking a nod from Jessica Mauboy who sang at Eurovision in 2014.

Isaiah Firebrace says his song has a Sam Smith vibe. Picture: Mark Stewart

Isaiah Firebrace says his song has a Sam Smith vibe. Picture: Mark StewartSource:News Corp Australia

Firebrace will warm up for Eurovision by support Mauboy on her national Greatest Hits tour.

“I’ll bring an Australian flag and an indigenous flag, like Jess did. That was really inspiring.

“I’m really honoured to be in this position. I thought X Factor was up there, this has gone way above it. I’m really grateful and I want to inspire not only indigenous kids but everyone and show them that your dreams can come true.”

Firebrace has already picked Dami Im’s brain about what to expect at Eurovision.

“She was giving me advice, telling me to make sure I’m eating healthy food and getting enough rest and to not spend too much time on my phone. I might struggle with that, I’m always on my phone. She said it’s a once in a lifetime thing and you have to focus and do your best. That was good to hear from her, because her performance was awesome.”

Firebrace’s father joined

“He cried. When it was still a rumour he said to me ‘No, pack your bags, you’re going to Eurovision’. He was sure. Weirdly, he also told me I was going to win X Factor before it happened. Maybe he has some kind of psychic power. He’s been supportive all my life with my music, even though we haven’t had a lot of finances, he’s sacrificed a lot for me to have vocal lessons and to travel to singing competitions.”

Blink TV’s Paul Clarke said of Firebrace’s voice “I hear Marvin Gaye, I hear this real quality. Ultimately that’s not enough for Eurovision. Isaiah has an amazing ability to cast a spell on an audience.”

Don’t Come Easy is now available for download, with a music video already recorded.

His first single It’s Gotta Be You has already found Firebrace an international audience online, going gold in Sweden thanks to global popularity on Spotify.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét