Thứ Tư, 4 tháng 2, 2015

Customer sends shop owner heartfelt apology for unpaid pizza, 13 years on

The customer paid back his debt with interest and begged for forgiveness.

The customer paid back his debt with interest and begged for forgiveness. Source: Supplied

A PIZZA shop owner was amazed to receive an apology note from a customer who had bounced a cheque 13 years earlier.

The writer enclosed a money order for $54.39, to cover a bill of $20 and adding eight per cent compound interest for every year since.

“I had no money and a hungry child at home, so I wrote a check that I knew would not be honoured by my bank,” the letter reads. “I’m not making excuses for my behavior, just applying some context.”

The businessman received the heartfelt apology letter by post.

The businessman received the heartfelt apology letter by post. Source: Reddit

The customer explained that they had since built up a business and got back on their feet financially.

“I think of this often and I am incredibly ashamed,” they said, adding that they had visited the store several time in the past few years, but had been too embarrassed to confess and ask for forgiveness.

The pizza shop owner posted the unusual piece of correspondence on Reddit with the title: “Received this today. I’m speechless.”

He said he didn’t remember the incident. “Back in the early 2000’s lots of people bounced checks,” he wrote. “Finally I stopped accepting them in 2006. By that time people rarely used them anyway.”

He agreed with users who suggested he post a sign in the store saying: “Forgiven”.

“I plan on working on something tonight to hang up,” he wrote. “The guy didn’t have to do anything, this is a big showing of his character. To include interest was really generous.

“I really hope to find out who it is, but if not that’s cool too. I don’t want to embarrass the guy.

“I feel bad for the poor guy. I probably forgot about him when I wrote the check off as a loss and never gave him another thought. This poor dude has been dwelling on this for over a decade.

“If I find out who he is I’m going to have a beer with him, I’m buying.”

post from sitemap

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét