Thứ Bảy, 17 tháng 1, 2015

British singer Charlotte Ritchie joins cast of hit show Call the Midwife

THE LAST WORD WITH CALL THE MIDWIFE’S CHARLOTTE RITCHIE

“I AM a huge fan of Call the Midwife. I really love it. Getting this role is one of those things that was such good news I started worrying that other things in my life would go wrong. I was like, oh god, my dog’s going to die or something. My mum didn’t really believe me, she wouldn’t let me tell anyone until I’d filmed a week of the show. I was really, really over the moon.

For someone who isn’t in medicine, ie. an actor, pretending to be a doctor or nurse is quite strange. I watched a birth for research. I was like, ‘c’mon Charlotte, you have to watch it, you can’t do a birth scene without having watched a birth’. I was feeling quite depressed about not having gotten tickets to Glastonbury while everyone else was there, and I was having a Sunday dinner alone, watching some random woman having a baby. It was the strangest Sunday night.

You might think it’s a bit gross. But once you know how wonderful and natural all that stuff is, and see a baby born, it’s the most amazing thing.

Charlotte Ritchie. Photo by Ben A. Pruchnie/Getty Images Source: Getty Images

I used to sing in a group called All Angels, which is a four-part sort of crossover harmony group. You’d think I would have found a better tag line for it by now. I was in that for six years, and now I’ve jumped on the bandwagon with my brother, he’s a musician too. We’ve started doing some gigs together which is really cool. At the moment, most of my time is spent working as an actor, and I hope (music) will be something I’ll always do.

Barbara Gilbert, (Ritchie’s character) she’s a very young, newly qualified midwife. She grew up in Liverpool but she doesn’t sound like it which is probably a blessing for everyone, not having to listen to me try to do a Liverpool accent. She has seen a lot of poverty and different walks of life, but still has a lot to learn. I like her because she’s written as a very nice person who gets a lot wrong but has wonderful intentions. I like that, because other characters I’ve played haven’t been as nice.

Some of my first scenes were with Helen George and Emerald Fennell who play Patsy and Trixie. It was really lovely to be welcomed so quickly by them. Especially since Jess (Jessica Raine, who played nurse Jenny Lee for three seasons) had been such an integral part. And meeting all the nuns was strange, because obviously I’ve seen them in the show, and gotten to know their characters and not the actors.”

CALL THE MIDWIFE, TUESDAY, 8.30PM, BBC FIRST

post from sitemap

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét