Thứ Ba, 20 tháng 1, 2015

Jemima Kirke of Girls says she likes playing a woman who is out of control, but she wouldn’t like to go back there

AS the hit television show Girls enters its fourth season, it’s a pretty well known fact that the series’ creator, writer and star, Lena Dunham, based the character of the free-spirited, Jessa, on her old school pal, Jemima Kirke.

“These days, Jessa couldn’t be further from my real life,” smiles the charismatic 28-year-old, now a married, mother of two toddlers.

“I go back and play her, and it’s a nice reminder that I’m not missing anything. Sometimes when you’re a mum – and I was a young mum, because I had my first baby at 24 – you feel like you’re missing out on something. Then I play Jessa again, and I’m like, ‘Oh yeah, that time of my life was s**t. It wasn’t fun and I was miserable’.”

White nights ... Jemima Kirke at the Golden Globes this month. Picture: Getty

White nights ... Jemima Kirke at the Golden Globes this month. Picture: Getty Source: Getty Images

What does make Kirke miserable, though, is the magnitude of hatred Dunham seems to inspire, particularly when it comes from other women.

“I think it makes some women angry to see someone like Lena succeed because she’s not like all of us, but she looks like a lot of us,” muses Kirke.

Trailblazer ... “A smart woman succeeding without being conventionally beautiful,” says J

Trailblazer ... “A smart woman succeeding without being conventionally beautiful,” says Jemima Kirke of her best buddy Lena Dunham. Source: Getty Images

“She doesn’t have that unattainable beauty that so many of these celebrities have, which allows us to separate from them. But with her, people are looking at her and going, ‘Well, if she can make it, why haven’t I?’ It makes people angry because maybe it makes them feel bad about themselves, to see such a smart woman succeeding without being conventionally beautiful.”

Nowadays, Kirke, an artist, says that she’s finally “embracing” acting. Where once she considered her part on Girls as a one-off, now she’s open to taking on other roles.

“In the beginning, I resented acting, because it took me away from my painting,” she says, “but I’ve dropped the pride a bit now.”

post from sitemap

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét